Today is our darling Bria's THIRD birthday. This girl is an absolute firecracker. Since she was a baby, the word that is used most often to describe her is expressive. There is no neutral for Bria: she is elated or devastated (this is both a blessing and curse). She is hilarious and sensitive, nurturing and perceptive, sweet and, let's be honest, quite a bit sassy.
tiny baby
I like to joke that she has the appetite of a teenage boy: she eats constantly. Most days she doesn't stop eating from the time she wakes up until after lunch. She needs at least two snacks between lunch and dinner, and often an after-dinner snack too. This girl can eat. Luckily, she's not picky. She prefers salad to sandwiches, broccoli to chicken nuggets, and oranges to cupcakes. Simply put, she is weird. And I love it.
tiny babyIn the last year I have noticed more and more traits that have led to my firm declaration that Bria is an old soul. She loves to sit and color for hours. She prefers to hang out with "the moms" instead of kids, and she gets overstimulated very easily. She likes to be alone, and at a recent Easter party, she wanted to watch from the sidelines rather than participate in the rumpus. Children overwhelm her, and she needs a lot of encouragement and coaching to stay calm and collected in social situations. She loves her friends-- but only one or two at a time. And still, she often needs to be held or taken into another room alone for a couple minutes during play dates so she can "reset."
Bria also sleeps a ton. I am totally spoiled. She still sleeps 8-8 with a 2 hour nap during the day. If she misses an hour here or there, she makes up for it-- and then some. She will often sleep until 9:30 or 10 and still take a nap and go to bed at 8. It's amazing.
Something not so amazing is her sass. This girl already talks to me like she's 13. I'm not sure where she picked it up, but she thinks she knows everything, and she lets me know it. Like any 3 year-old, we're working on learning boundaries, sharing, being nice, listening, etc. It's an uphill battle every day. Skipping a nap or going to bed late is a recipe for disaster and always results in tantrums, sass, and whining-- which is why I have always been an absolute stickler about bedtimes. (read: I'm no fun.) But, when she gets enough sleep (which means about 14 hours every 24 hour period) she's a gem.
She has a wild imagination. She makes up jokes, songs, and stories every day. She loves to sing and talk to her reflection in the mirror. She loves princesses and ballerinas, but she also loves animals and cowgirls and superheroes. Bria frequently walks on tip-toe, talks in falsetto, and speaks with elaborate hand gestures. She is out-of-this-world sweet, hilarious, and incredible.
Happy birthday, Bria!!



10 comments:
This is so great. I love that Bria is an old soul--maybe this is why she's going through her teenage phase right now? She's getting it out of the way early?
My three favorite Bria stories:
When she shut herself in a dressing room at H&M and yelled at herself in the mirror.
When she called me Bootsy for the first time using a voice that sounded like a 95-year-old woman who has smoked two packs a day for 75 years.
When she sat on my lap and ate all my gazpacho (she CAN eat).
Oh, I love this girl.
What a fun blog post. She is just adorable. I wish I could hang out with her she seems just so fun! It feels like just yesterday you had her. She is such a beautiful girl.
Happy Birthday Bria. Have the most wonderful day ever.
Congrats on having a super awesome child!
She is absolutely precious! Happy Birthday Bria!
We miss her so much! I wish we could give Bria a big birthday hug today...but alas, just thinking it will have to do :(
Happy Birthday to that beautiful girl with a beautiful mom!
She is pretty fabulous!
That is so incredible. What a cute kid!
We LOVE Bria! Thank goodness we get to have her over on a regular basis.
I really love this post. What an awesome tribute to an awesome girl! And I love that last picture. She is such a beautiful little girl. I love reading about her cute personality and fun stuff she does. Thanks for this one Courtney!
I love this blog post! How sweet. Bria is awesome. I love hearing about her and hearing all the funny stories.
Post a Comment