13 July 2012

Beach Babes

The Atlantic Ocean isn't exactly a straight shot from DC, but it's close enough that it tempts us all summer long. Some of our friends think we're crazy to drive three hours each way just to spend one day at the beach, but I think it makes for the perfect day trip. Last summer our beach of choice was Ocean City, MD, but this year we decided to try something new and head to equidistant Virginia Beach. (After the fact I can say that I think I prefer Ocean City, but only slightly.)

Sure enough, not even 20 minutes into the drive, Bria started asking "are we there yet?" We hadn't even passed places that fall within reasonable errand range. So it was kind of a long drive. Once we parked and got out of the car, the reality of 100 degree highs kind of overwhelmed us. It was really, really, really hot. Within a minute of getting our bags out and applying sunscreen, we were all dripping in sweat. Maybe this wasn't the best day for the beach. But we were determined to make it a fun day. We trudged to the beach, and when we reached the sand, it was so hot, Bria had to be carried to the water so she wouldn't burn her feet. (Like, legitimately burn them. Sam took a couple steps without his sandals and his feet were burning all day.) The first couple hours were a hot, sticky mess. The water was super crowded, the sand was hot, and we started thinking "why do we even like the beach??" but then a giant and lovely, puffy cloud crept up on the sun and gave us the most wonderful cover. Instantly perfect beach weather. The rest of the day was lovely. We stayed at the beach until 8:00 when we brushed off, packed up, grabbed some dinner, and made our long trek back home.



 Wish I had gotten a better shot of her (above) jumping into this pit some other kids dug out. She spent a good chunk of time lounging in it.

2 comments:

Josephine said...

I'm so glad the weather cooperated!

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry the beach is far away. It takes me 45 minutes to get to the beach and I am totally grateful for it! Beach days are the best.