11 January 2010

Natural

Bria is inherently nurturing, which I love to see. She loves to hold her doll and gently pat her on the back and then put her to bed, cover her with a blanket, and say "night-night." I haven't ever taught her these things-- it comes naturally to her. Even tonight, I gave her a towel to wipe up some water she spilled, and the next thing I knew, she had balled up the towel, was rocking it and patting it, then she put it to bed in her kitchen chair and said "night-night."
Bria loved our Christmas nativity (particularly Mary and Jesus) and would frequently put each piece to bed by putting it face down on the carpet.

I knew she was going to be pretty sad when we put the nativity away, so I had her help me. As we put it into the box, I had her give each piece a hug and a kiss and say bye-bye. She closed her eyes and lovingly rocked Joseph, Mary, the shepherd, baby Jesus, the angel, and each wise man and bid them farewell as I packed them away. She still asks for Shees (Jesus) and May-ey (Mary) every day, and will often go to the closet and point, saying "tee-ee?" (nativity). But then I remind her how we said bye-bye, and they went away until next Christmas, and that answer seems to satisfy her.

2 comments:

Maren B said...

so sweet....

Lindsay said...

I'm glad Bria is so naturally nurturing. Abby likes to chew on our nativity set. Sure, it's made of hard plaster, but that doesn't stop her. Rocking baby Jesus? No...more like biting him right out of the manger.