28 March 2011

A Visit from Papa and Mimi (with a possible curse, too)

Last week we enjoyed a visit from my parents. It was mostly a laid back visit, since Bria has had a mystery illness including sporadic night vomiting for the last 10 days. I alternate between thinking she's better and keeping her home, so that's what my parents got to do too.
We did, however, make it into DC one day. We went through the American History Museum until a sick and tired Bria called it a day. We snapped a picture on the mall on our way out.
As we headed to the metro, Bria's grump threatened to destroy the world, but we spotted a carousel, and my mom sponsored Bria's ride. She was delighted, calling out, "I'm on a merry-go-round!" throughout the ride. (The picture is not great, but Bria is on that blue horse.) Luckily, it really did cheer her up enough to make it home without any major meltdowns.

There was a lot of downtime chatting with my parents while my mom knitted and Bria entertained us with her antics. She was particularly fond of my mom's ipod and headphones.
And lucky Bria was even allowed to rifle through Mimi's purse and apply her own makeup while I wasn't looking.
On the one sunny and (slightly) warm day, we ventured to gravely point to see the planes taking off.
Bria was in heaven with her two doting grandparents showering her with love, attention, and praise.
Unpictured events include:
The best afternoon eating lunch with my parents, then shopping with my mom all while Bria was at a friend's house.
Going out on a real live date with Sam while my parents babysat.
Bria throwing up all over my parents' rental car the moment we pulled into the parking lot at Mount Vernon (we turned right around and went home after an extensive clean-up).

I don't always feel the physical distance from here to all my family in the West-- email, texts, phone calls, and video chats are the same wherever I live-- but plane tickets and car drives all make me realize just how far away we are. It's always a delight to close the gap for a week and spend quality time together. Though now my dad is 2/2 in having Bria be sick when he visits. Perhaps he is cursed?

2 comments:

Allison said...

You expressed exactly how I feel about living in TX and most of my family being in CA. We keep in touch through email, phone calls, skype chats, etc., but when they have to buy a plane ticket to visit, I realize just how are away we are. Alas!

Ashley and Aaron said...

I'm so sorry she was sick for so long...that sounds horrible. I bet you did more laundry during that period than the entire 6 months prior. That picture of her with the make-up is pretty priceless.