02 March 2011

to the zoo

When the weather was so nice, we went to the zoo.
Even the turtles were sunbathing.It was, however, insanely windy that day (I saw a little girl get blown off her dad's shoulders, no joke), so kind of chilly.
But we made it at the perfect time so all the animals were out-- even the orangutans on the O-line! (They walk across ropes above the zoo paths-- so awesome.)
Nevermind that Bria was kind of afraid of all the animals. I have to say the lion cubs were my favorite. I mean, how could they not be?

And the pandas. If I had to choose, these would be my favorite animal. I also hope you're enjoying all these hipstamatic pictures. I use the app on my phone to disguise my complete lack of photography skill.
Speaking of my favorite animal, in kindergarten, we went to the zoo and had to do an animal report. I wanted to do pandas, but the Denver zoo didn't have any, so I thought I could do the red panda. In some raw deal, I ended up getting the last choice in the class (I'm guessing through some sort of inverted alphabet something or other) and the only animal left was prairie dogs. Talk about a boring animal report. Here is a picture of the enviable red panda (I know you can't really see it. Please refer to the hipstamatic comment above): The zoo is nestled right in DC, which is what makes it so cool. Inside the zoo, you'd never know, but you walk out the gates, and hey! you're back on the streets of our nation's capital. And right across the street is Fro.Zen.Yo.-- my least favorite of the frozen yogurt places around here, but, hey, I'm not complainin'. So we grabbed ourselves a snack before heading home.
The last highlight of the outing was, of course, Bria practicing her photography on the metro. I love when she takes pictures of strangers. (She was yelling "let me take a picture of that guy! what's he doing? what's his name?" totally awesome and not uncomfortable at all.)

2 comments:

Rach said...

so cute and so fun! we went to the zoo last week too and I think I had just as much fun as the boys. I forgot how much I love all those crazy, different animals. My favorite...probably the tiger sleeping on his back with all four paws outstretched. so funny!

Lindsay said...

I hope she was really yelling - and pointing too. I mean, that's what I do when I see people "Hey you! What's your name? What are you thinking about?"
hahaha

I'm curious about the girl getting blown off her dad's shoulders. Was she airborn for awhile? Was she okay? That's ridiculous and hilarious - but also scary.

Love you! Miss you.