Of course we also did the touristy Williamsburg things like Jamestown Settlement, Yorktown Victory Center, and Colonial Williamsburg. We spent almost six hours at Colonial Williamsburg on a hot, muggy day. (We later learned that Williamsburg is the most humid place in Virginia, since it is so close to the water and is covered in swampy marshes.) My mom was in her element-- she's a total history buff-- and Bria was such a good sport tagging along all day. Of course this was made easier by her doting grandmother buying her little gifts, including a colonial bonnet. She got a couple piggy back rides from Papa, and we took plenty of breaks resting in the shade while my mom explored.
Jamestown was a pretty cool place, where I learned the true story of Pocahontas (thanks for nothin', Disney). And we also toured replicas of the ships that brought the first colonists. Plenty of details about what it would be like to sail for five months across the Atlantic made me feel faint and then thank my lucky stars to have been born in the modern age. Also, I'm certain I would not have been tempted by an adventurous spirit to explore the New World.
The last day we stopped at Yorktown Victory center on our way out-- the spot where the Revolutionary War ended. There was plenty to see at the replica farm. I was kind of in love with the display of homeopathic remedies (just below). It was a gorgeous setting, and Bria was mostly super patient, at least at the beginning, after what had been a long week of colonization. (And this was the first time we attempted a public outing sans stroller! She's officially grown up! Either that or I babied her way too long.)
After our last historical foray, we loaded up and set out for the three hour drive home. Bria slept mostly ok during the week, but the last night was a total bust, so she slept over half the car ride home slumped on my shoulder. Sweet thing.
Once we arrived home, we said our goodbyes, and my parents headed to a hotel for a good night's sleep before their flight early the next morning. Bria is definitely missing all the attention she got from her loving grandparents. Thanks for a great trip, Mom and Dad!





3 comments:
Bria is looking so grown up! Also, I say this every time, but best picture ever: Sam and Bria with the tattoos.
Oh, I love those pictures of Bria with mom and dad! Also, the places you went sound so amazing. I'm getting more and more interested in history. Maybe you'll take me on a tour someday?
Fun!
Post a Comment