01 December 2010

"Thanksgiving"

(What's with me being a blog slacker lately? I have no answer.)

For Thanksgiving, Sam and I were thoroughly content to stay in Virginia and celebrate with Sam's brothers' families. We have loved staying put for holidays since we moved, plus my mom was going to be visiting the week before anyway. The day before my mom was supposed to come, though, we got the news that my grandfather had passed away. So, in a grand switch, Bria and I flew to Utah instead. Since we were going so close to the holiday, we decided to just stay for Thanksgiving. We didn't have a typical holiday, but it was a wonderful time to be with my whole family. I didn't bring our dying camera, so I have limited documentation of our two weeks there. Among other things, Bria and I thoroughly enjoyed our Restaurant Reminiscing: J-Dawgs, Caputo's, Market Street Grill, Coney's Frozen Custard, and four trips to Cafe Rio. We also walked around BYU campus, went to the Discovery Gateway Children's Museum, and I saw the new Harry Potter movie.
The one picture I do have is from a BYU 59th Ward reunion I went to one night. I actually wasn't sure if I wanted to go, since Sam wasn't there, but it was fun to see everyone. Bria wouldn't leave my side the entire night, so at least I didn't feel too much like a wallflower. Also, if I hadn't gone, I wouldn't be able to enjoy this photo documentation of how short I am:
It was a really fun trip, and I'm glad I could spend so much time with my family. All my siblings were there for just a little while, and then I had over a week with only my parents. They hadn't seen Bria in a long time, and they loved getting to know her crazy personality. Maybe one of my favorite things was watching all the old Disney classics my parents have on VHS. Bria's favorites were Cinderella, Mulan, and Peter Pan (which is shockingly non-p.c.-- has anyone else watched it recently?). It was great to get a little break from real-life, but now I am eager to get back into the swing of things, like decorating our house for Christmas and gaining some measure of control over my email inbox.

4 comments:

Josephine said...

Oh, like "What makes the red man red?" Yeah. Pretty shocking. I'll admit I don't recognize a lot of the people from the 59th ward picture, but I do recognize some of them. Launi's son is so much bigger. And so is Bria. Did you know we're due to get a new bishop in January? The fun times with districts may be close to an end. I'll be interested to see what happens.

mj said...

so jealous! i really wanted to catch up with everyone. looks like a pretty good turnout - and at my old seminary stomping grounds to boot. :)

Lant Family said...

It was fun to see you and Bria, I am glad you came. It is hard sometimes at things like that to keep track of the kids and all their needs and still carry on a great conversation. Bria was so cute, I haven't seen her since she was a baby so it was fun to see a toddler version. I am glad I was able to provide your 1 picture ;)

Jenna said...

courty- sorry to hear about your grandpa. it looks like you made great use of your time in utah-- i'm so glad mandy is getting married there so we can hit up jdawgs in january.
(also i had to enlarge that picture to spot you. shawty.)