Earlier in the summer my mom called me up and proposed a plan: she and my sisters would like to fly me and Bria out to Utah for a baby shower in August. Was I interested? Ummmm . . . yes, please! So in the very last days before I started school, Bria and I flew westward. We were only there a handful of days, but we jam-packed every second with quality cousin time for Bria and sister time for me (even my sister Amy drove from California with her four kids). I absolutely loved watching Bria pick right up with her sweet cousins. They would disappear sometime during the morning and play all day long; there was a day or two I think I only saw her at mealtimes. And during play breaks there were also knitting lessons with Mimi and tractor rides in the backyard with Papa. It's safe to say Bria was in heaven.
I also soaked up every last drop of the crisp mountain air, going for long walks every morning, gazing at the Wasatch Mountains directly behind my parents' house and tried not to think about the suffocation I sometimes feel under all the Virginia trees. (It's a double-edged sword, really. I love DC and our life out here, but this mountain west girl will never be a true easterner.)
On Saturday we gathered with my extended family and a few Utah-dwelling friends for a baby shower. It was so fun to feel the love for my little boy! The reality is starting to settle that his arrival is just around the corner (two months to go . . . ).
(I took so few pictures on the trip, this is really the only evidence I have of the shower! But it's a good indicator of how much I love my sisters and being with them.)



No comments:
Post a Comment