03 January 2014

Welcoming Wally

I've been meaning to write a longer version of Wally's birth story (a shareable version-- I wrote all the details within the first couple days), but for the sake of the blog, here are the basics:
Sam and I went out for one last date to see Ender's Game, and my water broke in the middle of the movie (at about 12:30pm). I was in early labor for almost ten hours, so we didn't go to the hospital until 1am. I labored there with the help of Sam, the shower, the tub, an epic playlist of '90s hits, my doula, and vitamin water before giving birth to our ginormous baby boy at 7:34 am, thirteen days after my due date.
After Bria's traumatic delivery, I took my preparation for this birth very seriously. I worked so hard to achieve spontaneous labor and an unmedicated birth, so I think it comes as no surprise that when Wally was finally born, all I could do was cry "I did it!"
It was the most amazing and powerful thing I have ever done. So, you know. I am Woman. Hear me roar and all that.

4 comments:

Michelle Earnest said...

Dang. You are amazing! I need to come meet your sweet Wally.

The Mangums said...

You are amazing! Love this picture, so precious!

Maren B said...

That's wonderful! I'm so glad you had the experience you wanted. There is something so awesome about achieving natural childbirth.

Maranda said...

You are awesome! And beautiful! How big was he? He's adorable.