28 January 2008

Directing and Diabetes

Things are going well in the Mangum household. The above picture gives a fun view of my ever-expanding pregnant belly. My sister Whitney came to Provo the day before she moved back to California, and we were just laughing at how huge I am getting. You might also see that I dyed my hair back to brown. I could never get around to getting highlights again, and my roots were starting to look like some serious white trash, so it was time to just go back to brown.

Sam is busy directing his first short film: Lair Lords. It's about some dorky high school boys who are obsessed with a Dungeons and Dragons type of video game. It's a fun script, and Sam is really enjoying exploring his creative side. I don't particularly love the all-night film shoots, but I know Sam is having blast, and he has worked so hard on this project. Filming will end this weekend, and then he will have some more time to dedicate to his classes before he wraps everything up in April! I can't believe we are already in his last semester of school. It is so exciting.

I found out last week that I have gestational diabetes, so that hasn't been very fun. It has made me feel increasingly apprehensive about the upcoming task of delivering a baby, but I met with the diabetes counselor at the hospital today and she gave me some really helpful tools to maintain a healthy blood glucose level. I have to test my blood sugar seven (!) times a day at first, but if that works out, then I think I can go down to four. I am also following a meal plan. She actually said I already had a pretty healthy menu that I usually follow, but I was eating too many sugars at the wrong parts of the day. So now that I am equipped with all the tools I need, I am feeling more confident about everything, and I think everything will turn out all right. I am just so thankful for science!

Thanks for all your input on book suggestions for my book club. I think we are going to read The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho for February-- which I definitely recommend for those who haven't read it! It's a very easy read, and I like to think about the issues it handles.

5 comments:

Launi said...

ugh...i had gestational diabetes too, courtney, so i feel your pain. i think it must be even harder to eat so many fruits and veggies in the middle of winter, even if it's good for you. :) one side benefit: after i gave birth, i thought the hospital food was the most luscious stuff in the world because i could eat all of it and not have to have specific amounts of certain types of food at specific times. and they had dessert! hooray! :)

Amber Volle said...

You're a trooper Courtney, we'll keep you in our prayers. I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Word Whipped said...

Courtney! It has been sooo long!! I found the link to your blog from other peoples blogs! That is soo exciting that you're pregnant! I hope everything goes well for you!

Maren B said...

You are looking nice and plump, just as you should, I must say. It sounds like you're well sel-controlled--very impressive. Keep on truckin! We might go out to UT in May, so we hope you'll still be there in case we get a chance to visit.