It's Thursday night, and I am starting my long weekend! Sam is in class right now, so I am going to do the dishes and start some Amish Friendship Bread. Tomorrow I have work off and we have an appointment with the midwives (with another ultrasound!). I am so excited to have Martin Luther King, Jr. Day off on Monday, too!I have been thinking a lot lately about book club. I am in charge of our the book club at church, which means that I have to pick the book each month. I first picked C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia-- mostly because it held off having to pick another book for about nine months (I missed two months of book club when I got really busy). This month we are reading the final Chronicle, which means I have to start choosing books! As a graduated English major, you may think this a fun task for me, but I am more than a little intimidated. My favorite literature is postmodern, which is not exactly what I think they have in mind for Relief Society book club.
I would love any suggestions on good books to read that would be appropriate for this church-sponsored book club. I want to read books that are interesting, and I would love to read books that aren't over-read (the typical book club choices). I also need to be careful not to offend anyone. Since we are finishing the Chronicles of Narnia, I don't want to read any more C.S. Lewis (at least, not for a while). So, please, suggest away!
Also, you are welcome to suggest books for my own personal reading. I need a new book to read, and I'm not sure what my next pick is.
7 comments:
Maybe some Shannon Hale books, or The Thirteenth Tale. Gift from the Sea is pretty good for discussion too. Did you ever have Prof. Crisler? I have him now...and I'm not sure what to think of him.
Well, of course my favorite book is Twilight, but you said you wanted something that isn't over read. Ryan and I both really like The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. That makes for some really interesting discussions. But again, that's a best seller. Oh! My brother and his wife really like a series called The Uglies and The Pretties. That's my next read. Hope that helps a little.
Hi Courtney! Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson is really great. And it's a true story, which makes it all the better!
I read a really good idea, where this book club group read the winners of the Pulitzer Prize:
http://www.powells.com/prizes/pulitzer_fiction.html
Sam's brother Matt here with a suggestion. I am getting towards the end of The Bourne Ultimatum, the third in the series after The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy. They make up three of the four fiction books I have read since my Russian Lit class at BYU. I bet your Relief Society book club would love these. Ludlum writes fight scenes that are AWESOME! The story is completely different than the movies, so they aren't spoiled (since all members of the Relief Society have seen the movies) and if you pick these it gives you another three months of not having to pick a new book.
Other than that though, I only read non-fiction. So I am not much help. I am hoping to find a class here at Georgetown on Cold War era action adventure novels. Especially if it would count as part of my M.A. program. So far...no dice.
hey courtney, i thought i put in my 2 cents because i love my book club at church so much. recently we have read a tree grows in brooklyn, which has i've always loved and the house on mango street (which is kind of a collection of short stories, if you haven't read it)-it's a super fast read.
we also read twilight (just the first one and then if we wanted to we read the others on our own) and all the ladies seemed to love it.
good luck!
I recently read Rebecca (by Daphne DuMaurier) and Oliver Twist (definitely not by Daphne DuMaurier) and I'm in the middle of Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. It's winning me over--definitely a cute, fun, lighter read for an RS book club. We read Life of Pi for my last ward's book club, which was great (and we always had theme food, so we had seafood stuff and rice), and we read Pres. Hinckley's biography (which took two months, because it's gargantuan). Anyway, yay for books, and yay for you!
Post a Comment