31 January 2008

What to do about DST

I know it's not quite time yet, but today I started thinking about Daylight Savings Time (here-out known as DST).
I was hoping DST would be after I stopped working (on April 3!), but I googled it today at work and was sorely disappointed. Much to my chagrin, DST falls in early-ish March. The thing is, I have a love/hate relationship with DST:

LOVE
Winter and I don't get on particularly well. I ache for longer days, warmer days, sunnier days. I know they reside just around the corner, but DST gives a glimmer of hope into the coming of Spring. It extends the days so that when I leave work, I don't feel like I live in darkness. This sunshine-increase gives me ample opportunity to get me daily need of Vitamin D!

HATE
There are few things I love more than sleep. These few things include Sam, Baby, and Girl Scout cookies ice cream (Samoa). Come DST, that hour loss is tragic, traumatic, tormenting. This is exactly why I was hoping DST would come after I stopped working: I don't think babies are in tune with DST. I am not so lucky. Come early March, I will have to sacrifice the hour of sleep and probably be late to work for a while until I catch up.

LOVE
But speaking of sleep, we do get an extra hour of sleep when DST ends in November. That, I must say, is glorious. But by the time DST ends, I will have a six-month old. Like I said, I don't think babies follow time changes. So really, I don't even get to enjoy it this time.

HATE
And in November, the days get shorter. Which means the dreariness of winter has begun. No one will see the sun until mid-April, and we will all live in perpetual cold and darkness.

Thus, I feel torn about DST. But re-reading through my love-hate details, I think I lean more towards hate than I do towards love. I just don't think it's all it's cracked up to be-- even if I am thrilled for the days to start getting longer. Let's just say this: I can't wait for spring! This dreary Utah weather is getting on my nerves: I've had about all I can handle!

2 comments:

The Mangums said...

I had to laugh. I was just at the store and bought some of that Samoa Ice Cream - I was so excited I wouldn't have to wait until the cookies came out next month! Wish you were here to share! Love, Jean

Marcus and Jenny said...

I'm not sure where I stand with DST, but I bought that icecream last week and once I had my first bite, I hid it in the big family freezer so no one else could eat it but me. OH MY GOSH! Heavenly!