Yesterday Bria reached the 18-month marker. Our little girl is one and a half! This is quite the momentous occasion because it means that Bria gets to go to nursery at church. Now, if you had asked me about this event several months ago, I would have replied with hesitation, anxiety, and fear. Someone taking care of
my little Bria for two hours? In a germ-infested room full of children who could potentially hit, kick, or push
my little Bria? I don't think so. But, since Bria became more mobile and more aware of the world around her, church has become less exciting-- really more of a frustration than a spiritual rejuvenation. So, as this mile marker loomed, I realized, instead of walking around the church halls for three hours every Sunday, we would only have to walk the halls for
one hour! And I wouldn't have to bring enough food to feed an army and activities to occupy a school! And maybe, just maybe, I could actually pay attention to the lessons at church! What a novel idea!

So, really, I was thrilled-- still a touch nervous (because I've never left Bria with anyone except family), but, on the whole, rather excited. It was all very anti-climactic. Bria walked in and immediately started playing with toys while we just kind of stood around, not knowing the protocol. So after a couple minutes, we said "ummm . . . I guess we'll go now." And we slipped out without Bria even noticing. Two hours later, Sam went to pick her up and she was chasing bubbles with another boy her age. Apparently, she enjoyed nursery more than any of the other kids and had a blast! What a champ! So three cheers for my laid back little girl who loves toys and other kids-- church just might be worth it again!
4 comments:
Isn't nursery great? It sounds strange having a non-parent say that, but Tim and I have been in nursery every week for the past two and a half months straight, and the parents rave about how great it is. So, congrats! We had a very whiny girl in nursery yesterday, so Bria does sounds like quite the champ. I'm glad she had a good time. Bubbles are the best nursery activity ever. And if it makes you feel better, this nursery leader does try to make things as sanitary as possible. . .
Three cheers for nursery!! I'm a HUGE fan. :)
I'm glad Bria liked it.
What a blessing, Jordan had a really rough time with Nursery. Me and the other leaders decided to move her into my nursery class after weeks of not tolerating it. As this baby looms and my leaving the nursery is approaching I'm really scared for how Jordan will do. She will have been in the nursery for a year at that point but I've always been her teacher so I'm nervous. We'll see what happens I guess.
Josephine, that DOES make me feel better. I will pretend that our nursery leaders are just as diligent (and fun!) as you and Tim. I hope you try to have discussions about post-modernism or something with the toddlers-- I think it would enrich their lives.
Amber, good luck with the switch! I am hoping Bria doesn't realize that when she goes to nursery, it means I leave.
Post a Comment