27 October 2009

Museum #1: The Natural History Museum


On Saturday, we started in on the great list of museums in D.C. by going to the Natural History Museum. It was raining for the second weekend in a row, and we didn't want to just sit around at home on our only full day together, so we decided to brave the rain. We took the metro to the Smithsonian stop, and when we got out, the light misting had turned to a full on torrential downpour. Luckily the museum is just across the street from the metro. By the time we got across the street, the stroller had several inches of water in it (Bria was under the umbrella with Sam), and we all felt about 15 pounds heavier from our drenched clothes. But it was well worth the wet adventure-- Bria loved it! We were a little nervous about how Bria would do at a museum-- she rarely does well with looking and not touching, but we just went through a couple exhibits, and she had a blast.

The mammals were her favorite. She was making every animal sound she could think of and I think she was close to hyperventilating she was so excited. She just kept laughing and screaming out of joy. It was awesome.


We could barely get her to look at the camera for a picture.

Bria's favorite: the elephant. This is the world's largest elephant on the display, and it is absolutely huge! Bria's favorite animal really is an elephant, and she just kept running around and pointing at it, making an elephant sound over and over and over again.


Bria took a little break, eating some snacks and drinking water while watching a video from the '70s about the world's first organisms. She led us here, and I don't know why it was so appealing to her.
By the time we left the museum, it had stopped raining. I'm excited to take Bria in sometime to try out some of the other museums. This city is amazing!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I can't wait to come visit! This sounds so fun!

Jenna said...

yeah that is a personal favorite as well! glad you got to get out and explore a bit~

Amanda said...

Bria! A girl after my own heart! :) I'm glad to see you guys so happy and loving D.C. as much as you (and I) hoped (and knew, really, I mean come on) you would! (Weeee!)