18 April 2012

Flower Power


 If you know me well, then you're aware I'm kind of a hippie. And one of the things that taps into my hippie nature is the Cherry Blossom Festival. I make a point to see the blossoms several times every year, and every single time I go, I launch into long, philosophical orations on the hope and beauty of humanity. It fills me with joy to see the throngs of people flooding the mall and the tidal basin just to look at blossoming trees. So many people may say this world is full of hate, discontent, and greed. I don't deny its existence, but I choose to recognize the incredible amount of power in beauty. I don't see any of that negativity when I go see the blossoms. All I feel is the pulsation of collective awe in the majesty and beauty of a blossoming tree.

See? I wasn't lying about being a hippie. Thanks for indulging me. Now you can just enjoy some of the pictures we took this year.



 

There is a tree just outside our door that's blossoms are the most magnificent fuchsia. I picked a couple branches to bring inside, and they were my absolute favorite thing for the couple days they lasted.




4 comments:

Josephine said...

Um I believe those trees are called fuchsia trees. Ok, not really but they should be. There was one outside my freshman dorm and I loved it. I also love that hat. And that people will flock to see some pretty trees--that is kind of hopeful.

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

I love your inner hippie! I literally felt like I was there! :) Thanks!

Maren B said...

Yay! I'm not the only hippie!

Allison said...

Beautiful pictures and love your sentiments!