This post is simply to ask for advice. The last couple months I have said to myself nearly every day "hmmm, I should probably get some books to read about how to handle discipline for toddlers." Not because Bria has any discipline issues, but because I could sense a change in Bria. She started pushing boundaries gently, and she would throw a tantrum here or there. In the last couple days, this casual thought about what books to read for guidance has become more of an urgent need. Our sweet little Bria is nearly two, and it is becoming rather apparent. Tantrums are becoming more frequent, and I think Bria screamed "MINE!" approximately 8,000 times today. I have general discipline measures in place, and I feel confident in my abilities to remain calm and consistent when teaching her appropriate behaviors, but there are some situations I find myself completely baffled.
My question is this: what parenting books would you recommend?A picture of my darling girl after insisting that "Beebee do it," while putting on her coat.

9 comments:
Two words: Super Nanny! I don't know if there is a book but lots of great television shows.
Ya know, I haven't read any books on discipline (I'm practically married to one -- since that's what he does all day) but I have felt like I should. I have a lot on my "to read" shelf. But, for us, so far, the biggest thing has been what you have said...remaining calm and being consistent. Our sweet Callie told me the other day to "buzz off." Can you believe that?! She picked it up from her grandpa, of all people, but still...it's rude for her to say that. She has her share of tantrums and, believe me, they are ugly. We started the "time out" process about 6 months ago. She didn't know to sit on a special chair or whatever, so we just sat her on our lap, crossed her arms so she couldn't move them, and we covered her eyes she she couldn't see. She hated it. We still use this method, and it works for us. And, it's worked for her. (It's a little unconventional looking, in fact, it was kind of embarrassing to first do it in front of some of our friends in Spokane...but for the sake of consistency, we had to -- and we all silently laughed as Marcus did it) She is starting to sit in the corner of the room while she screams...but she doesn't leave that corner...and if she does, we tell her to go back, and she does...still screaming and crying. To me, that's good enough for now. But I do feel like we have a good handle, or good enough, handle on it...BUT...I still would like to read a good book to get more ideas. So, I'm interested in what people suggest. Phew, that's long enough huh?
Ok, I know I don't have kids yet, but I fully plan on purchasing the Super Nanny book when I do. I watch her show and I LOVE her techniques and I have NEVER seen them NOT work. She is smart, fair, consistent and logical. That would be my suggestion. It's a relatively small paperback so I don't think it's very expensive and I think it's categorized for easy reference.
Unfortunately my professional expertise doesn't really apply for a child Bria's age. However, the Love and Logic series by Dr. Charles Fay changed the way I do discipline forever. I have not read it but there is one for early childhood. I am not sure if it really covers toddlers though; you should at least look into it, though.
When Bria gets much older you must check out "What We Can't Tell You" by Kathleen Cushman. I wish I could be more help. Maybe I should force the club to open a daycare.
Oooohhhh! Have I got the book for you!!
It is called "How to behave so your children will too" by Sal Severe. He also has one called "How to behave so your preschooler will too".
I am telling you...this is the very best parenting book I have ever read. I really like the Love and logic book...but this one...man oh man, it is amazing! A.MA.ZING!!
I know it's already been mentioned, but I really liked Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood, by Jim Fay. It's a really quick read and very easy to implement, and it's definitely age-appropriate. I'm going to have to check out some of these other suggestions though!
Did you see this post of mine? http://visitourparks.blogspot.com/2009/11/he-does-it-for-dots.html
I got the idea from a book called "The Power of Positive Parenting" that is all about ignoring bad behaviour and rewarding good behaviour. I mean, you don't ignore it completely, but you don't give them the attention they love when they do something bad. The dot-to-dot system has done WONDERS in my house. And I am a huge fan of the corner for time-outs...you can have a corner anywhere and I think it's important to teach them that they can't be with the rest of the family if they act out (as opposed to punishing them in the midst of everyone).
I don't know what would be good - but I do think that hoodie is cute!
Whatever you end up reading, please review it on your blog! I need suggestions too!
Post a Comment