Also, my sister Amy emailed me the other day about a really cool 5K Run/Walk going on in Palo Alto, CA at the beginning of May. I know a bunch of you who live out there, so I thought I would post the info here. Pass along the info to anyone you know in the area! Here is the email my sister received from her friend Heather, who is organizing it.
Friends!
I am very excited to finally announce a project that has been in the works for the past month or so. My friend Jesica Deputy and I are going on an expedition to Zambia this summer with an incredible organization called Mothers Without Borders. With a child orphaned from AIDS every 14 seconds, there are millions of African children in need of help and love. Mothers Without Borders gives us the opportunity to teach some of these children in community schools, tutor them in reading, English and math, play games, and offer comfort and hope. We will be helping construct homes for orphans at the Mothers Without Borders Children’s Village and plant family gardens for widows caring for orphans in a nearby village.
That's where we need your help! In an effort to raise awareness and help many feel a part of these children's lives, we have planned a 5K run/walk. Everyone is invited, so please help us spread the word! Post us on your blogs, forward this email to friends and co-workers, pass it along! If you are not the athletic type and don't want to participate in the run, there is a VERY simple way to donate online on our website along with details on what even small amounts can do to change lives. Here are the details for the race:
Zoom for Zambia 5K Run/Walk
Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 8:30 a.m.
The Baylands, Palo Alto
Please visit the website at http://zoomforzambia.blogspot.com/ for all details and links for online registration and donations.
3 comments:
I am so, so glad you posted this! I went to Zambia with MWB a few years ago, as I'm sure you knew, and I've even been looking for organized runs to participate in out here. Could this be any more perfect!?! Thank you!
Mothers Without Borders is a fantastic organization. Our family friend, Kathy Headlee, started it up. I haven't checked it out in a long time, but I assume she is still the head of it. The work that she has done is amazing. The entire Headlee family is incredible. They were one of the early pioneers to go into the orphanages in Romania...they were on GMA or Today, I forget which one, and talked about it...that was at least 15 years ago now. But the Headlee's have made a huge contribution to humanitarian work around the world, especially for children. Kathy started MWB, which I can only assume was sparked from her testimony and love for the Savior, what her parents taught her and the deep impact their travels and service made on her life. I wish I were there so I could participate in the run. Thanks for reminding me about MWB. Whether we've had children or not, women are all meant to be mothers, and we can be...even if it means participating in an organization such as this.
bummer! the race sounds like fun, but we're running another 5k/10k that same morning in los altos. hope to see you when you're here!
Post a Comment